Friday, February 4, 2011

Cool Sh*t!!- 'Kill Bill' Everything Is A Remix

Kill Bill has been one of my favorite movies since I first saw it in theaters back in 2003. While my some of my girl friends found it to be strange (we were in High School at the time) I loved it because it reminded me of many samurai and kung-fu flicks I would watch as a kid. Quentin Tarantino is a mastermind at movie mashups and Kill Bill is a perfect example of it. Editor Kirby Ferguson began a project called "Everything Is A Remix" to prove the point that film audiences enjoy watching the familiar. Most big box office movies are derived from existing material whether its a sequel or based on a book, comic, tv show etc. Even if a movie is not based off of any of these items, they're still based off of bits and pieces of old films. To prove his point, he's complied scenes from Kill Bill and matched it with scenes from old movies. Watch the video below! You can see that a lot of Kill Bill is influenced from old Samurai and Western flicks. I'm just surprised he didn't refer back to any Kung Fu films as the influence for the time Bellatrix spent training with her Chinese master Pai Mei.

Everything Is A Remix: KILL BILL from robgwilson.com on Vimeo.

If you want to see the first part of Kirby Ferguson's project where he points out how George Lucas mashed up old films to create the Star Wars films, you can watch below.

Everything is a Remix Part 2 from Kirby Ferguson on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment