Monday, December 13, 2010

Music Review- Tron Legacy by Daft Punk

I've been uber excited to listen to the Tron Legacy soundtrack ever since I heard that Daft Punk would be doing the score and I've been even more excited after hearing how well Trent Reznor's electronic rock score complimented The Social Network film. This sort of European electronic rock music isn't something I typically listen to, but upon first hearing Daft Punk would be collaborating with the Tron Legacy film, it seemed like the perfect match. I'm one of the few geeks my age who actually saw the first Tron, and I think Daft Punk's electric sound goes very well with Tron's 80s, futuristic vibe. After months of waiting and bits of teaser tracks released, I finally got my hands on the sound track last week when it was released.

So what was my impression? Well first thing I noticed was there was a lot more orchestral stuff going on than I was expecting. Based off of the teaser tracks that were previously released beforehand (Derezzed, The Game Has Changed), it sounded like it would be an all out electric sounding score. Not that I'm complaining. I thought the orchestral movements sounded a lot like Hans Zimmern's score in Inception, and upon closer inspection, apparently Hans Zimmern did contribute some of his talent to the Tron Legacy score. Think of that sort of epic, substantial sound the Inception score had and mix it with Daft Punk's signature electric, fist pumping sound- that's what the Tron Legacy score sounds like. It's a perfect blend for a movie of this caliber.

Just listening to the soundtrack gets me pumped up, so I can imagine what sort of jump-out-of-your-seat action sequences we're going to get when we see the music put together film. If you're a fan of Daft Punk, I'd definitely recommend this soundtrack. It's certainly something different from them but they still have their signature touch on it. Oh, and don't worry about the track listings spoiling movie plot points for you (cause that tends to happen quite often with movie soundtracks) cause the track names are pretty ambiguous sounding. Now I can't wait to see the film!

Final Score- 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment