Monday, November 8, 2010

Music Review- Flamingo

Hello my lovlies! Its been quite awhile since I last update my blog and I apologize for that. Things have been a little nutty for me lately. I just lost my job this past Thursday and I've been scrambling to get my life back in order. It was very unfortunate timing for me too because I was planning on living in my new apartment this past weekend, and now it looks like I gotta move out before I even got a chance to sleep in it :( Anyways, funny thing is, I started this blog back when I was unemployed and needed a way to wind down so it looks like it's back to blogging therapy for me! I've also am trying to become more involved with writing for a movie blog called COLLIDER.com if you guys have heard of it. You can check out my first article here! Its regarding Studio Ghibli's announcement of their next movie!

I'm trying to pick up the pieces with everything I left sprawled out on this semi-neglected blog. There were several reviews I wanted to write but never had a chance to. My previous job was taking away 12 hours a day from my life but now I have a lot more time to spare in between filling out job applications. This is a review I tried to get out awhile back and sorry for its tardiness. I've been a big fan of The Killers ever since their
Hot Fuss album debuted back when I was in high school in 2004. The band was a great new addition to the genre of modern alternative rock and you can definitely hear the inspiration in their music coming from brilliant 80's alternative bands such as Depeche Mode and The Psychedelic Furs. Lead singer Brandon Flowers gave the band a unique and captivating voice which can't fail to be recognized; however, when I heard he was coming out with a solo album, I shuttered. At first, I was nervous that the band broke up but no worries, they are still together and coming out with a new album sometime around the end of next year I believe.

Even though I'm not a fan of lead singers "going solo," I decided to give his album, titled
Flamingo, a go merely because of my undying love for The Killers. I'm very glad to say that I ended up loving it from start to finish! The album is proof that the spirit of The Killers really comes from Brandon Flowers because you got all the goods in his solo album. I'm not saying that the man can go on with his career without the rest of his band; I turned on Hot Fuss after listening to Flamingo and realized that the instrumental artillery is so much more powerful when the entire band is together. The album begins with a great opening track Welcome to Las Vegas which sets the mood and tone very well for the rest of the album. I was even more impressed when the second track came around, Only The Young, which ended up being one of my favorite songs on the album. It's a light song all around but still has just enough pang to it- a really beautiful ballad. The album only had 10 songs but they're all great so you don't have to jump around when listening to it. It ends with the brilliant track Swallow It which has made it to my "Top 25 Most Played" tracks on my ipod already. Definitely an album worth buying so go buy it now!!

Final Score 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment