Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Misc. Review- The Walking Dead

My blog has been lacking reviews lately and I'm sorry. Life's been quite busy for me but it should be settling down soon. In the meantime, I'll drop a quick review for your reading pleasure. I am not a zombie person. Never have been. I love reading about supernatural monsters, but zombies were never one to catch my eye. This may be due to the fact that every zombie encounter I've had was some dumb horror movie filled with nothing but blood and guts. After I saw Zombieland however, it was the start of a big refresher for this genre for me. Zombieland was great because it was a fresh new take on the zombie genre; it was funny, clever, and it didn't use your typically zombie fighting characters. A few months back, I also picked up the book Handling of the Undead by John Ajvide Lindqvist, not because I wanted to read a novel about zombies, but because it was by the same author as Let the Right One In. I ended up really loving this novel despite its mediocre reviews because, again, it was a different take on the zombie genre. The zombies in the novel were not no aggressive, but merely wanted to return to their lives before they died and go back to the ones they loved. A lot of questions are brought up dealing with how far someone's love goes for a person even after they've died and what does it mean to be alive and have a soul.

So by the time I heard The Walking Dead was coming out on AMC, I was pretty excited. The main draw I had towards it was the fact that it was directed by Frank Darabont, the director of several Stephen King novel adaptions such as The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, and The Mist. The series itself is based off of a comic book series by Robert Kirkman and illustrated by Tony Moore. I wasn't familiar with the source material at all so I really had no idea what to expect from the premiere this past Sunday. The show started off a bit slow; our hero, a police offer named Rick Grimes, wakes up in a abandoned hospital in the middle of a zombie apocalypse. I was kind of surprised by that because I feel like I've seen that scenario many times before. Regardless, the scenario is creepy and it gets you on the edge of your seat, especially when Rick walks by these locked double doors spray painted with the words "Don't Open. Dead Inside." I was glad our hero soon ran into a much alive father-and-son duo after he left the hospital. I didn't want to watch a one man show like I Am Legend. The father character explains to Rick that most people in the city all went to Atlanta because that’s where the Centers for Disease Control is headquartered. The reason why the two of them haven't headed down there themselves seems to be because a certain zombie wife/mother still haunts them in their home town.

Once Rick begins his journey to Atlanta, the ball really starts rolling. The moment he finds himself in the city, I can imagine some squeamish viewers changing their television channels. Lets just say that the zombies in this show prefer animals just as much as humans and there's a certain horse that doesn't make it. The episode also hints that Rick will be meeting up with some old familiar faces soon so we can definitely expect some group drama later in the series. The premier set up the series to be grim, survival story which I like. It doesn't seem so focused on the horror aspect and there's a realistic feel to it. I'm really excited to see what happens next and where several of these character relationships go. I'll be sure to set my DVR for next Sunday!! This could very possibly mean I've become a converted zombie hater.

Update:
The series has been greenlite for a 13 episode long second season and has become the biggest series in cable history among adults 18-43! Could this new zombie-mania mean I'll get to see a film version of Handling The Undead? I hope so!!

No comments:

Post a Comment