Friday, September 17, 2010

Music Review- False Priest by Of Montreal

I apologize in advance for the sloppy writing in this post. I haven't got much sleep this week. Anyways, False Priest is a full length album which was released this past weekby indie rock group Of Montreal. I honestly bought it on a whim off of itunes (I just wanted more content on my Ping page, lol). The only song I previously knew by Of Montreal was Wrath Pinned to the Mist and Other Things. Crazy titled, right? You may know if better as the Outback Steakhouse song. You can listen to it here. I guess I was expecting something that sounded more like that for this album-mellow, hip indie rock. What I found was something completely different. It was like a mix of 70's disco, soul and...Mika?

Sounds like a strange combination, but I'm not quite sure how else to describe it. Their single Coquet Coquette was released earlier in the summer back in June. Okay, you have to see this strange...thing of a music video. Click over on the right where it says "Music Video of The Week." Freakin' weird right? I can't say I completely understand where their going with this music video or the concept of their entire album as a whole. Coquet Coquette is actually one of the more normal songs that stand out in this eclectic mix of strange music. As weird as the music is on their album, some of the songs starts to grow on you after a few listens. I probably wouldn't go as far to say it's worth buying, but there are a handful of songs that are worth listening to. Even with the tracks I enjoy in there, it's mixed in with some others that are messy garble. Never the less, I won't say I regret my buy.

Final Score- 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment