Friday, September 10, 2010

Cool Sh*t!!- Top 5 Most Anticipated Films at TIFF


You may or may not know that the 2010 Toronto International Film Festival is going on right now, and so far its list of contenders are shaping up to make this past summer's hollywood flicks look like a pile of garbage my cat threw up. It makes me sad to know that so much money and incredible marketing efforts are put towards shitty movies that just attempt to milk America's desire for mindless entertainment for all that its worth. This past summer's list of blockbuster "hits" were just downright atrocious! About 75% of movie studio releases were either remakes, sequels or adaptions. Are movie studios really that terrified of original material? Just look at what happened with Inception. Well recently many of TIFF's presentations have been putting these major movie studios to shame. I've complied my list of top five most anticipated films that were showcased at TIFF and I have a feeling most of them are getting are unfortunately getting a limited release in the states. It seems great films are just not palatable to American tastes :(

5.) I've been waiting for Danny Boyle's next film after seeing 2008's amazing Slumdog Millionaire. I have seen a few of his films prior to Slumdog Millionaire, but that's the one that converted me. Mr. Boyle's upcoming film is titled 127 Hours and is based of the true story of mountain climber Aron Ralston who got trapped in an isolated canyon in Utah when a loose boulder fell on his arm. Ralston is played by the beautiful James Franco and I'm glad it's him cause the film required an actor who could hold the screen on himself for its entirety. According to MTV, James Franco "will steal out hearts" in this film and there is already early Oscar buzz for Mr. Franco. For those of you who are familiar with the true story, you know Mr. Ralston had to amputate his own arm to free himself from the boulder- I am heavily anticipating this scene to blow my mind emotionally and to vomit at the same time.

4.) I love, love, love Spanish horror films, Spanish filmmakers, and yes, I love Guillermo del Toro. His last production that I saw The Orphanage and it was a great one! Creepy, mysterious, and full of fantasy. This upcoming Spanish horror/thriller film is titled Los Ojos De Julia or Julia's Eyes and is produced by Senor Del Toro and directed by Guillem Morales and stars Belen Rueda (the leading lady from The Orphanage). The film is about a woman named Julia who is slowing going blind from degenerative illness and investigating her twin sister's mysterious suicide. One of the interesting plot points I found was the fact that the film is shot from Julia's POV so scare tactics include panic attacks and sudden sight failure. Woot! I'm excited! While we're on the topic of spanish film makers, I should probably give a shout out to Biutiful, the new crime drama by Mexican director Alejandro Gonzales Inarritu which stars Javier Bardem (who won best actor at the Cannes Film Festival).

3.) One of the most talked about films at this year's TIFF is Never Let Me Go, an adaption of the highly acclaimed novel of the same name by Kazuo Ishiguro. The film is directed by Mark Romanek and stars Carey Mulligan, Kiera Knightly, and Andrew Garfield. The film revolves around themes of morality and science and the question "what makes us human?" Childhood friends, Kathy, Tommy and Ruth are students of an idyllic English boarding school where the children are not allowed to leave school grounds, and are groomed to accept that fact that their future will be a short, grim one. When they leave the school, they confront their feelings or love, jealousy, and betrayal while coming to face their terrible fate. I finally got around to borrowing this book at my local library and I hope to finish it sometime this week (haven't started it yet!). When I do, I'll be sure to post a review on it :)


2.) The movie that has been receiving the greatest buzz in the past few days has been without a doubt Black Swan. This new dark, psychological thriller by Darren Aronofsky stars Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis. Natalie's character, Nina, is a ballerina at a NYC ballet company, and like all ballerinas, she's completely obsessed with her career. Nina is first choice as the prima ballerina in the upcoming Swan Lake production but a new dancer Lily (Kunis) comes along. Lily fits perfectly in the role of the sensual Black Swan while Nina fits the role of the innocent White Swan. The prima ballerina must be able to play both roles and soon the two dancers turn their rivalry into a twisted friendship while Nina begins to become more in touch with her dark side. Natalie has already got audiences screaming "Oscar" for her performance in Black Swan and has won the attention of director Alfonso Cuaron (whooo!) who offered her the lead role in his upcoming production Gravity, after Angelina Jolie dropped out (let's hope she takes it!).

1.) Alright, alright! I know! This film doesn't deserve to be number one. But you know what? This is my list of most anticipated films, and I would be lying if I didn't put this one at number one. By anticipated, I mean both incredibly excited and terrified at the same time. So Let Me In is supposedly an adaption and Matt Reeve's interpretation of the Swedish novel Let The Right One In by John Lindqvist; looking at the trailer though, it looks more like a remake of the Swedish film Let The Right One In (which was based off the book). I was a bit cynical at first about the remake, but recent released clips have been shutting up the haters. The film received a lot of back lash from fans of the Swedish film. Why would you remake a movie that was already perfect!? That is what I thought at first, but now I am interested in seeing Reeve's adaption. So the film is about a young boy named Owen who gets bullied at school and fantasizes about committing mass murder. One night, a strange girl moves in with her guardian next door who happens to be a blood thirsty vampire!!! However, if you are familiar with the Swedish version or the book, you'll know that the fact that she's a vampire is quite secondary. The story is more so about love and friendship rather than crime and horror. I'm just going to have to wait and see if Reeves stay true to the source material and makes a beautiful romantic drama or if he decides to go the thriller/crime/horror route to make it more exciting for Americans. Wouldn't surprise me. From what I've heard already, Reeves already made a change that regards the anatomy of our young vampire. Oh, I am excited to see Chole Moretz play Abbey though! There have been some bull shit sources citing that there is early Oscar buzz surrounding her; though I doubt its true, it would be really cool if it was!!

No comments:

Post a Comment