Saturday, September 4, 2010

Cool Sh*t!!- Concept Art for Pixar's Newt


Arghhhh Pixar loves to tease us! I have an insane love affair with Pixar films and I look forward to their newest film every year. If you've been reading my blog then you know I love animation and especially the beautiful work done by Pixar. Well lately, they have been taking some unusual steps out of what I'm use to seeing from Pixar. With the company's immense success and continuous expansion, things have been snow balling and they are taking on projects left and right. Normally I would be excited for a new project that Pixar's involved in, but with the announcements of some of their latest ones, I start to become concerned that Pixar will lose their creative, aesthetic value in all their work. With so much stuff going on at Pixar and Disney nowadays, its going to be impossible for John Lasster (Pixar and Disney Animation's Creative Director) to keep watch over everything.

So what is the company involved in? Well first there is Pixar's involvement in a Discovery Channel special called Dinosaurs, then there is the direct to DVD film Planes which is spin off from Cars, and then there are all the sequels that are currently in development. I didn't mind them doing a trilogy for Toy Story (it actually worked out brilliantly- I was a young girl when the first one came out and a recent college graduate when the third one was released. Very fitting) but I feel that Pixar's work is so unique that they need to leave it along after finishing. Well now our line up for the next few Pixar movies will be mostly sequels! We just had TS3, next we are getting Cars 2, and then Monsters Inc 2! I love seeing's Pixar's originality when coming up with new stories; now I'm not really sure what direction they're starting to go. Well we will get one original movie, Brave, which will feature Pixar's first female lead and oh, she's a princess. Don't get me wrong. I'm still very excited to see it; however, what I was REALLY looking forward to, among the mist of all these strange projects going on, was Newt! I have forever been looking foward to Newt since around the time Ratatouille was released. Well guess what? It's been cancelled!! I couldn't believe it! My guess was that they felt it was to similar to the story line of upcoming animated film Alpha and Omega. Here's the official plot synopsis:

"What happens when the last remaining male and female blue-footed newts on the planet are forced together by science to save the species, and they can’t stand each other? Newt and Brooke embark on a perilous, unpredictable adventure and discover that finding a mate never goes as planned, even when you only have one choice. Love, it turns out, is not a science."

I was bummed out for awhile but got over it....until yesterday. Arghhh. Pixar has decided to torture me more by posting absolutely gorgeous concept art for Newt. The color schemes are miraculous and the characters look incredibly well designed and super cute!! Hmm, perhaps they will retackle the project a few years later hopefully. See some of the images below. You can get the full gallery at Pixar's fan page on Facebook.








Oh while we are kind of on the same topic, I just want to take this chance to vent my frustration that Disney Animation Studio's has shelved (for the third time) their hand drawn animated adaption of Hans Christan Andersen's The Snow Queen. My favorite fairy tale ever has yet to become a classic Disney movie and now I think it never will! Unfortunately, it seems like hand drawn animation really is dead for Disney Animation Studios after the little interest shown in The Princess and the Frog :( Below is Disney's concept art for Snow Queen.



No comments:

Post a Comment