Friday, September 3, 2010

Cool Sh*t!!- Chloe Moretz as Katniss in Hunger Games


Okay to be perfectly honest, I nearly put this post under the "WTF" tab. Let me explain. A rumor has started that young starlett Chloe Moretz is the front runner up for the role of Katniss Everdeen in the film adaption of Suzanne Collins' Hunger Game trilogy. You may recall my post on The Hunger Games from back in July; if you haven't read it, you can see it here. The third and final novel to the trilogy, Mockingjay, was released about a week ago and shot up to number one on the best sellers list immediately. This trilogy has an incredibly huge YA fan base which has movie studios salivating. They basically hope to turn this trilogy into the next Twilight and the script (penned by Suzanne Collins herself) has been safe-guarded like none other. Though I didn't think the trilogy was anything like Twilight, I think it could potentially be a huge movie/trilogy. Well a bunch of names have been thrown around for the part of the main heroine Katniss (especially Kristen Stewart, but I knew that was bull....seems like Kristen Stewart is rumored to play everyone now including Lisbeth Salander awhile back. Ack!!) but today, many sources are saying Chloe is the front runner favorite.

So I have mixed feelings about this. I love Chloe. She's rocked in Kick-Ass, which is now one of my favorite films, she is playing Eli (re-named Abbey) in the American adaption of my favorite novel ever Let the Right One In (renamed Let Me In), and she's currently filming a movie with one of my favorite directors ever, Martin Scorsese. As much as I would love to see her in The Hunger Games movies, I have to say I don't think she would be a good fit for it. Here's why. Well first off Katniss is 16-17. Chloe is 13. Katniss is suppose to be dark hair, tan, and angry looking. Chloe is very blond, pale, and cute looking. Okay this stuff I could get over, it's not that big of a deal. What I'm worried about is her upcoming role in The Rut. Only a few plot details have come out about it but it's supposedly about a young girl who has to use her HUNTING and ARCHERY skills to SURVIVE in the FOREST to find her father. If you've read The Hunger Games, you know that's what basically the entire book is revolving around. The two roles sound too similar to me and could turn out to be a problem. Anyways, I guess we'll just wait to see what happens. While we're on the topic, I just want to note that you all will probably be able to get my review of the second and third book in the Hunger Games trilogy later this weekend, so stay on the lookout! One last thing I want to say is, I really hope whatever studio is helming The Hunger Games movie does not market it as the next Twilight. Marketing something as the next anything is a horrible idea!! It sets the film up for failure! It failed for Percy Jackson to market itself as the next Harry Potter and it failed for The Golden Compass to market itself as the next Lord of the Rings. Advertisements for The Mockingjay was already marketing itself as Twilight with promotional material that read "Team Peeta or Team Gabe?" Argh kill me now.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice blog! Yes, The Rut is worrisome. If Chloe Moretz really get Katniss role, I suggest firmly that she let go of The Rut, moreover with terrible (I'm sorry, no offense) director like Karyn Kusama.

    And yes, if we see past her age & looks, she has what needed to be Katniss. Good acting balance of drama and action, plus her expression & attitude (in a good way).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lacus! :) I agree with you about her dropping The Rut

    ReplyDelete