Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Movie Review- Inception


I can tell you right now that I won't be blogging about new release movies too often because the purpose of this blog is to recommend movies that are easily accessible if you were to want to stop by your local Blockbuster for a weekend movie or need another movie to add to your Netflix Queue; however, every once in awhile when there is a big, must see movie in the theaters, I'll probably take the time to write a review. Well this summer has been pretty much a disappointer in turning out both a good dosage of summer worthy films and box office numbers. So far I can say this summer has only turned out two good summer hits: Toy Story 3 and Inception. Since most of you all have probably already seen Inception, feel free to treat this as a discussion and put in your two cents about the film and your interpretations of it, especially the ending.

In case you've been living under a rock, Inception is director/writer Christopher Nolan's (The Dark Knight) most recent film that has been under development for that last ten years. The film is a contemporary sci-fi, heist film that deals with the dream state. Our main character that the film centers around is Dom Cobb played by Leonardo Dicaprio. Cobb is a extremely skilled "extractor" (someone who enters a persons dream to steal their greatest secrets) that gets hired by Saito (played by Ken Wantanabe) to plant an idea into a corporate heir's (Cillian Murphy) mind to bring down his fathers empire. This process is what we call "Inception."

My two friends and I went to check out the film opening night and lucky for us the power in the theater blew out during the third dream state so I didn't get to see how everything ended. Annoyed, I had to go back to the theater the next week to see the conclusion but it was interesting for me to get a second viewing; I was able to catch more things the second time around. I was pretty jumbled by the opening sequence during my first viewing but that was followed by a good 45 minutes of Leonardo DiCaprio explaining the concepts of the dream world in the most idiot proof way possible. Nothing is particularly confusing or abstract- it's all pretty straightforward. Ellen Page's character Adriadne is brought on to the scene as a medium for Leo to explain all this to the audience. This portion of the film drags on for quite awhile causing my friend next to me to fall into a dream state herself. The audience also doesn't get to see much of the detail that goes into planning their upcoming heist and it seems like they just sort of jump into it. Once the heist does start though, ohhhh lawdy, I was on the edge of my seat for the rest of the film.

I loved Nolan playing with the concept of dreams within dreams. It served as a ingenious way of story telling and creates some of the most exciting movie sequences I've seen in a long time. I recently ran across this neat timeline showing how all the dream sequences fit together. As exciting as it was, I think I was expecting more visual glory in the film. Considering that the movie is dealing with going into people's dreams, I thought there would be more abstract, transcendent imagery. For the most part it played out like a normal heist. Everything in the dream world seemed to be nearly identical to the reality of the real world- I know my dreams aren't this lucid! The two big visual wows, Ariadne's city bending and Arthur's zero gravity fight were two of the most shown scenes in the marketing material before it was released so I was hoping the movie would leave more to be seen. Additionally, I thought Inception would play more into the theory and philosophy of the dream state. I've always been fascinated by sleep and dreams because I myself suffer from many sleep disorders. Going into the theater I thought I was going be to coming out with my brain intellectually over cooked and flowing with innovative dream theory.

Regardless, I still ended up loving the film; just more as an action heist film than an intellectually, abstract film. The cast was fantastic. Joseph-Gordon Levitt stole the screen especially when it came around to his fight sequence in the moving hotel. I'm a big Leo fan so anything with him in it I approve. Eames played by Tom Hardy was great as well I think we can be expecting to see more of him after this. As much as I love Ellen Page, I felt like her character was kind of thrown in there just to help the audience meld through everything and so the movie wouldn't be completely run by testosterone. I loved the score done by Hans Zimmern, it made everything feel tense and gritty. Had a cool ending.

Recommended- Final Score 8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment